Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Getting Fresh, With Herbs That Is. This Week: Basil.

Basil-seedsIt's hard for me to believe that we've talked about fresh herbs for ten Tuesdays already, and yet I didn't get to basil until today. Perhaps that's because basil has been a staple in our garden for years. I can't imagine a summer without it. And what's a summer without a Caprese salad or two or three? If you're a die-hard Al Dente reader, you know that I ate aCaprese to die forjust a few days ago, made with fresh Mozzarella di Bufala, sun-warmed, homegrown tomatoes and basil straight from the herb garden. What a revelation!

What are you doing with basil?

If I have a lot of basil on hand, which rarely happens, I will make pesto. I like this Martha Stewart's recipe, which freezes well because it leaves out the Parmesan cheese. I've only made pesto with pine nuts, but these days I've begun to hear about it made with walnuts, almonds or pistachio nuts. And then there is pistou. You might say that pistou is a French pesto, made without nuts but with the addition of a tomato or tomato paste. Traditional Soupe au Pistou is a broth made with summer vegetables and served with a dollop of pistou. Have you tried it before?

--Tracy Schneider


Getting fresh herbs - GCS Forum i have problems finding fresh herbs. rosemary, dill, basil and stuff.... cold storage sells them at a premium price. any lobangs anyone? Landfair on Furniture: Getting Fresh, With Herbs. This Week: Cilantro Getting Fresh, With Herbs. This Week: Cilantro; Modern Furniture Online; Kitchen Magic, From Basement To Success; Talk About Gorgeous! Add Value With Sheepskin How to Use Fresh Basil eHow.com If you're anything like me, you are too quick to overlook the rich nutrition content of herbs & spices! I received fresh basil in my CSA share this week, and faced with ... Al Dente: Getting Fresh, Herbs That Is. This Week: Oregano I've begun an herb garden on our small terrace here in Germany. I began with sage, thyme, chives, basil, parsley, rosemary and several types of mint. Thanks to Al ... Kalyn's Kitchen: How to Freeze Fresh Basil ... little post about how to freeze fresh basil ... I'm new to growing herbs and have several basil ready to start harvesting ... Kalyn, I just froze some basil last week but I ... Freshherbs.com Recipes and Tips for using fresh herbs and living herbs ... doubles as a ready-to-use assortment for cooking. Basil ... This week, I whipped up an easy tomato gazpacho. How to Harvest herbs like basil, cilantro, dill, and chervil ... How to Harvest herbs like basil, cilantro, dill, and chervil. In this ... Eric Johnson shares his Tips and Ideas again this week. There is no question that fresh herbs are ... How to Store Parsley, Cilantro, and Other Fresh Herbs Simply Recipes Fresh parsley, cilantro, basil, and other fresh herbs can ... and they happily last a week. But I'll try your mum's method next time I come across fresh cut herbs! Herbs by Diane - Google Sites - Free websites and wikis Fresh herbs & vegetables grown organically in ... Purple Ruffled Basil - soon ... Fresh Herbs and Vegetables available the week Al Dente: Getting Fresh, Herbs That Is. This Week: Thyme Getting Fresh, Herbs That Is. This Week: Thyme ... and Herbes de Provence (savory, fennel, basil, lavendar and thyme). But what about fresh ...

No comments:

Post a Comment