Saturday, August 25, 2012

Beautiful Wild Blackberries!

Blackberries
The wild blackberries are ripe! At long last, the plethora of wild blackberries found out here in Seattle are plump and ready for picking. On trails and in parks it is common to see berry enthusiasts braving the thorns and picking berries!

I have loved wild blackberry season ever since I moved to Seattle in 1995. I was astonished that so many plump berries were easily found and free for the picking! Back then, everyone seemed to take my enthusiasm with a ho-hum sigh. No one seemed particularly impressed by the glossy fat berries or they simply took their existence for granted. Many of my gardening friends reminded me that they were an invasive nuisance! I was sort of baffled by the lackluster enthusiasm for such a sweet wild treasure. Having been born and raised on suburban Long Island, I can assure you that I didn't grow up with berries growing so wild and free!

I braved the thornyhedges last week and gathered my first five pounds. The berries were just starting to ripen after a brief heat wave. A pound of those berries were turned into an unstrained berry syrup suitable for ice cream or yogurt. The rest of the berries were frozen on a tray and transferred to a heavy duty freezer bag. They will be turned into cobblers and crisps in the off season.

Are you a wild berry fan? Do you gather berries, such as huckleberries, salmonberries, cranberries, or blackberries in your region?

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A.Trainer


Wild Blackberry Garments Over many years, WILD BLACKBERRY has developed a unique selection of garments, to grace women of all ages, sizes, shapes, beyond boundaries of current fashion trends. Handmade Natural Soap Blackberry Creek Soap Blackberry Creek Soap adds beauty, warmth and a relaxing atmosphere to your home because the soaps are incredibly beautiful and smell absolutely wonderful. Blackberry Wood Welcome! Blackberry wood campsite is situated in beautiful, quiet Sussex countryside at the foot of the South downs, in the National Park. Hope to see you soon! baking = love: My blackberry is not working: Rhubarb & Wild ... Ronnie: I bought something from you last week and I'm very disappointed. Shopkeeper: Oh yeah? What's the problem? Ronnie: Yeah, well, my blackberry is not working. Blackberry Way - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia "Blackberry Way" is a single by The Move. Written by Roy Wood and produced by Jimmy Miller, "Blackberry Way" was a bleak counterpoint to the sunny psychedelia of ... BlackBerry Curve Smartphones - See the New BlackBerry Curve at ... Connect with the BlackBerry Curve series at BlackBerry.com. Discover our line of BlackBerry Curve models, including the 9310, 9320, 9220, and more. Wild Blackberry Or Dewberry Pie Recipe - Food.com - 252790 Picking wild blackberries or dewberries is something we did every year for as long as I can remember. We usually make lots of jelly out of the berries, but we also ... Wild Blackberry Jam grow it cook it can it Every August, Im faced with the tough choice between how much I adore the taste of wild blackberries and how much I hate picking them. Its 102 degrees outside ... Brambles Gone Wild: How to Remove Blackberries Seattle grew too much for the man... My name is Tom and after years of living in Seattle, I moved to the country, and settled into a sweet old farmhouse on four acres ... blackberry farm: Wild Blackberry Cobbler Ice Cream + Wandering ... i am making blackberry cobbler ice cream so i started with making a blackberry cobbler. normally i would make everything from scratch, i didn't this time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment