Friday, August 17, 2012

A Very Retro Hot Crab Sandwich

Cooked Dungeness Crab
Thanks to my husband's determination to catch Dungeness crab this summer, I have enjoyed an embarassment of crabby riches in my kitchen. Each weekend, we set the traps and then pull the haul.

We have been experimenting across the board with how to cook the crab, how to pick it, how to freeze it, and ultimately how to use it. Every Sunday, after we are done with the messy task of picking the crab, I stash a container into my fridge and then work with it during the week.

Last week, I decided to make myself some hot crab sandwiches for lunch! I was inspired by a taste memory that has stayed with me since last September when I had a fabulous hot crab sandwich made by Mona Stone at the Fishermen's Fall Festival here in Seattle. Mona is married to an Alaskancrab and scallop fisherman and together they run Alaska Weathervane Seafood.She is asuper cook who is well known for herluscious scalloritos!

When I purchased Mona's hot crab sandwich that day,I was dumbfounded. It was a simple mixture of Alaskan crab, mayonnaise, onion, a little bit of cheese. It was served on basic white bread that was toasted just right. I didn't buy one sandwich that day. I bought two!

So, when I started to craft my own hot Dungeness crab sandwich last week, I consulted a few cookbooks and decided to keep things pretty basic. On my first attempt, I used a high-quality locally made sourdough bread, but believe it or not the flavors didn't balance out. The bread was too sour and assertive for the sweet crab. I gave that version a thumbs down.

When I went back to the drawing board thenext day, I simplified even further. I mixed about two ounces of dark and white crab meat with a small dollop of mayonnaise, some chopped green scallion, a bit of shredded Tillamook cheddar, and salt and pepper. I then reached for two basic pieces of white buttermilk bread. I smeared some softenedbutter on the bread, loaded the filling on top, and heated my cast iron skillet over medium heat. I let the sandwich brown and heat through,flippingit once or twice andmaking sure that the cheddar cheese was melted.

When I tucked into that crab sandwich it was amazing and almost as good as Mona's!The simplified version hit the mark. When I sat there and savored my sandwich, I was reminded that a fancy pants production was definitely NOT needed for such fresh amazing seafood!

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


Hot Meat Gravy Sandwich Recipes ifood.tv Filling and very satisfying, hot and wholesome sandwich makes for ... Hot Crab Sandwiches. GETTING READY 1) Smear each ... Vintage Gravy. Use the hot drippings left in a pan ... The Food Timeline: history notes--sandwiches ... Cheese, Chicken and Pepper, Clam (Hot), CloverLeaf, Crab neat ... A rather fantastic name for a kind of hot sandwich ... gherkins, cover with the lid and serve very hot." Nick's Restaurant - Pacifica, CA So even for the retro-curious, it ... The Clam Chowder is very good but sometimes could be hotter. The signature Crab Sandwich is good ... -Crab Sandwich contains a small amount of ... Hot Crab Dip Recipe : Paula Deen : Recipes : Food Network Sandwich King; Secrets of a Restaurant Chef; Semi-Homemade ... Hot Crab Rangoon Dip with Won... By: Sandra Lee; Hot ... has been sent and should arrive in your mailbox very ... Cooks.com - Recipes - Hot Crab Dip BOLOGNA SANDWICH ... Bake until bubbly, about 30 minutes. Serve crab dip hot with raw vegetables or crackers. Hot Crab Dip Recipe Simply Recipes - Simply Recipes Food and ... Do you have a favorite hot crab dip? If so, what's in it ... In my family, we make something very similar. Minus ... Sandwich; Side Dish; Soup and Stew; Holiday Recipes; Budget Recipes Sandwich Recipes - Po Boys and Mufulettas and More Grilled Crab Sandwich Roast Beef Poor Boy ... Pork Tenderloin Sandwich Hot Tuna Buns ... An attractive chrome retro design paired with electronic features makes this a very ... Cooks.com - Recipes - Hot Cheese Crab Mix cream cheese, Cheddar cheese, wine ... Top with reserved Cheddar ... HOT CRAB-CHEESE SANDWICH Culinary Muse: DUNGENESS CRAB, HOT VINTAGE CAR EVENTS; WELCOME TO TOWN ... lemons and a whole cracked crab at each persons place. And a very ... or even indulge in a crab sandwich at Fentons. But hot crab? Al Dente: A Very Retro Hot Crab Sandwich Thanks to my husband's determination to catch Dungeness crab this summer, I have enjoyed an embarassment of crabby riches in my kitchen. Each weekend, we set the ...

No comments:

Post a Comment