Monday, October 8, 2012

Lessons Learned From Reading Labels

ImgresRecently baked up a batch of chocolate chip cookies, which was received with giddy joy by the kiddos who got to dunk those sweet treats in milk. The scene was almost adorable enough to be made into a commercial for cookies or for milk.

Yet, those cookies nearly didn't get made. When assembling ingredients, I came across a rock-hard bag of brown sugar. In fact, there were three half-filled bags of brown sugar. Bummer.

I've learned the hard way that you cannot make substitutions when it comes to baking. But what to do? I didn't have the time to run to the supermarket. I'm not sure what possessed me to read the label on the back of the brown sugar bag, but it offered sweet relief: Place a damp cloth on top of a bowl of brown sugar and leave it overnight. Fluff it up in the morning.

What? There's no time for that. What if I speeded up the process by nuking it in the microwave? Thirty seconds and done. It worked. Butter and sugar were creamed, eggs beaten in, flour sifted on top. And, oh, those cookies. The Blue Ribbon winning recipe comes from Linda Amendtfrom her fantastic book called 400 Sensational Cookies.

-- Leslie Kelly


Lessons with Laughter: Reading & Writing Notebooks My students use their reading and writing notebooks daily during our Daily 5/CAFE block. I made these notebooks for them a few weeks into the school year and am SO ... Lessons Learned Professional blog for Eric Ries and the Lean Startup movement. Book:LESSONS FROM THE MOUNTAIN,WHAT I LEARNED FROM ERIN WALTON ... For nine seasons, Mary McDonough was part of one of the most beloved families in television history. Just ten years-old when she was cast as the pretty, First Thoughts: Four lessons we learned this week - First Read The lessons we learned this week on four stories -- Bain Capital, Romneys $40 million, Jeremiah Wright, and the debt ceiling Romney goes up with his first ... Lessons Learned From Aurora Colorado SOFREP As I continue to read about the terrible tragedy in Aurora, Colorado, I can't help but think there's some lessons from my time as a Navy SEAL that I can pa Ten Things I Learned From My Father findingravity A few months ago, I featured a post titled Ten Things I Learned From My Mom. Ive spent the last few weeks reflecting, and decided that I also wanted to ... Business Technology News, Analysis and Context ITBusinessEdge.com IT Business Edge delivers the information, analysis and context that business technology decision makers need to devise strategies, optimize resources and capitalize ... You Can Be Right, or You Can Be Married: Lessons for ... From the blog Book Club: We think about divorce in terms of "failed" marriages, but author and filmmaker Dana Adam Shapiro's new book is a reminder that often our ... Life Lessons from People of All Ages - Motivation - Let's Do This ... 100's of Life Lessons submitted from people of all ages, all around the world. Homepage - ReadWriteThink Providing educators and students access to the highest quality practices and resources in reading and language arts instruction.

No comments:

Post a Comment