Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Big Affordable Loaf of Artisan Bread

Jim Lahey No Knead bread
Has anyone noticed that the price of artisan bread is going through the roof?

In my neck of the woods, some of those loaves are ringing up at more than $6 a piece. Of course, savvy cooks can stretch every crumb out of one of these beautifulloaves, but in my household my teenagers can easily mow through a loaf for snack and paninis. This, of course, can get pricey.

This weekend, I unearthed one of my favorite bread recipes--Jim Lahey's No Knead Bread. I first started making this bread as soon asthe recipewas published in an article inThe New York Times in November 2006. It was a fabulous recipe then and it remains fabulous today. Honestly, the recipe doesn't require kneading...the wet dough is simply mixed together and allowed to sit overnight. And, because the dough is baked in a Dutch oven it develops a crisp crackly skin similar to those professional artisan loaves. I also really like this recipe because it doesn't require a huge investment of time on my part--literally just a few minutes here and there.

Last weekend, I stirred up a double batch of the dough and let it sit overnight in one of my massive mixing bowls. In the morning, I turned it out onto a heavily floured counter,folded it togetherwith a bench scraper, and then plopped the loose dough into a banetton that had been lined with a flouredtea towel. Per the recipe instructions, I baked the bread in a preheated oven. I normally use one of my Le Creuset Dutch ovens, but for this version I used a clay baker. The bread crackled loudly while it cooled, and the children soon started hacking away at the loaf. The double loaf didn't last long.

So, if you think those gorgeous artisan loaves are beyond your budgetor bread baking skills,have faith and give this simple recipe a try. You will be astounded!

If you want to study this method further, be sure to check out Lahey's book, My Bread.

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


Bread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Bread is a staple food prepared by cooking a dough of flour and water and often additional ingredients. The word itself, Old English bread, is common in various forms ... 10 Minute Banana Bread The Fresh Loaf News and Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan Bread Enthusiasts. The Fresh Loaf News & Information for Amateur Bakers and Artisan ... Welcome to The Fresh Loaf, a community for amateur artisan bakers and bread enthusiasts. This site contains featured recipes, lessons, book reviews, a community forum ... No Knead Bread - A Rustic Loaf! - AresRocket.com This was one of the most emailed articles from the New York Times, because its simple and results in a magnificant loaf of bread. Unlike most recipes that have you ... Amazingly easy, incredible bread and cookbook GIVEAWAY (winner ... I own a cookbook that has a recipe titled "Best and Easiest Home-Baked Bread." The recipe has you mix up a starter and let it sit 2 to 8 hours; make a ... White No-Knead Bread Loaf Recipe No-Knead Bread Blog This recipe will make a large sized white sandwich loaf that is as great tasting and a great texture for sandwich bread. The crust is soft like a sandwich bread, not ... Homemade Bread: Cheap, Delicious, Healthy, and Easier Than You ... Welcome to The Simple Dollar! If this is your first time visiting the site, read my story and my key simple ideas for improving your finances and your life. Amazing Artisan Bread for 40 Cents a Loaf - No Kneading, No ... What if I told you that instead of buying bakery bread for four or five dollars a loaf, you could make delicious handmade bread whenever you wanted, at a fraction of ... How much does a loaf of bread cost where you live? - General ... I keep seeing loaves of bread for about $3.75 in the grocery stores and $4.00 -$5.00 in bakeries/bread stores. Even the cheap bread is almost $3. Larg Artisan Bread OAMC from Once A Month Mom Bread baking in JULY? Yes! It's delicious. It's similar to the pizza dough, there is no kneading and you can keep it in your fridge for up to two weeks!

No comments:

Post a Comment