Thursday, September 6, 2012

Get Prepped for Self Catering With a Big Bucket!

Cambro bucket
We hosted our first pig roast over the weekend. For the event, my husband was in charge of handling all the porky details. He sourced the pig from a local butcher, picked it up, wrestled it onto the skewer, and slow roasted it over the course of the day. In total, I think he used about 80 pounds ofreal charcoal in order to get the pig fully cooked.

I was charged with the task of crafting the rest of the menu and prepping in advance. I wanted to keep our budget in line, so I decided to serve an array of simple seasonal salads that could be made in advance and wouldn't require a lot of time. Hence, I decided to make a largetomato, basil, and mozzarella platter as well as a large black bean and rice salad. I knew the black bean and rice salad would be a simple slam dunk because I decided to cook the beans and the rice a day ahead. I reasoned that if I used my rice cooker thenthe salad would be super simple and could easily be stashed in one of my 6-quart Cambro buckets. I've used these prepping buckets in the past, and they are positively priceless when you are self-catering a large party!

So, I cooked the rice and beans the day before the party. I let them cool and then put the beans in the bottom of the bucket and the rice on top of the beans. I then diced some bell peppers, some scallions, and some fresh cilantro and layered that on top. The lid was popped onto the container and stashed in my extra fridge. On the evening of the party, I simply tossed the rice and beans with a light orange vinaigrette and transferred the whole thing to a large white serving bowl. It looked quite nice and was a whole lot cheaper than having a caterer do it for me.

So, if you are planning to self cater any large parties in the near future, do yourself a favor and invest in these super useful buckets. You will find that it is so much easier to prep and store foods in advance.

--Melissa A. Trainer


Catering Catalogue 23112009 - Docstoc Documents, Templates ... AUCTION CATALOGUE Monday 23rd November 2009 10:00 AM CATERING & HOSPITALITY 12 NOON ... Homestead Make a FREE Website - Create a Website in Mins - Build ... Make a Free Website or Store! Create a Website in Minutes w/ our Award-Winning Web Design Software. Build Your Own Website & Find Customers Today. Family Holidays in Devon Recommended Self catering Family ... Family Holidays in Devon - Recommended family holidays offers Willowfield Lake Holiday Cottages with 12 self catering cottages of 1 or 2 bedrooms, indoor swimming ... What did you do to prep this week? - Survival tips, techniques and ... First of all, I would like to thank Gwyneth P, Laurence H, Glen C, Richard C, Rosalie M and Laurie R for their generous donations via PayPal this week. You are ... Catering 0110 - Upload & Share PowerPoint presentations and documents Catering 0110 Document Transcript. Catering january/february 2010 ... Jerry D. Young Fiction :: The Prepper Broadcasting Network Wednesday Player 1 Lost Art of Prepping! 6:00 pm/Central. Player 2 Prepping With Goat Hollow! 8:00 pm/Central Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket Photobucket offers image hosting, free photo sharing and video sharing. Upload your photos, host your videos, and share them with friends and family. How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster for Under $3000 FREE T-Bucket Plans How to Build a T-Bucket Roadster for Under $3000 The most complete Hot Rod book ever written! 250+ pages completely reveal every detail of how to build a T-Bucket ... What Did You Do To Prep This Week - Survival tips, techniques and ... Whee what a week! I spent the first part of the week closing the deal on my new place and the rest working on my driveway well actually, the guy I hired did ... Surplus stock of Catering Equipment Self Trading - Wholesale ... Self Trading have been offered the following over stock. clearance parcel consisting of a number of pallets from a large national catering supplier, this is a great ...

No comments:

Post a Comment