Tuesday, September 4, 2012

A King Size Burrito Goes Back to...High School!

Don pancho tortilla
Aha! With all this back to school lunch talk, I always chuckle because I've been packing school lunches for about 13 years now.I pack multiple lunches each day,and one year I even calculated how many lunches I've packed. I don't remember the exact number, but it was pretty staggering.

I'm now packing lunch for an athletic high school boy. Last week, I rose early and prepared to make a hefty sandwich, but Isoon gasped because I discovered that a little gnome had eaten the last of the cold cuts during the night!! I knew I needed a rapid fire backup plan. Scrambling around well before dawn that morning, I decided to wing it and pack a burrito.

Luckily, I had recentlypurchased some massiveDon Pancho 14-inch tortillasat Cash & Carry here in Seattle. So,I decided to load one up with some fixings from the prior night's burritos--taco meat, black beans, white rice, fresh cilantro, a dollop of salsa, sour cream, and some shredded cheddar. Because theDon Pancho tortillasare so HUGE, I was able to pack a lot of punch into the "package" and was amazed at how well the whole thing wrapped up. There were no loose ends. The tidy but bigburrito fit nicely into a Lock and Lock container.

On the way to school, I told my son to use the microwave that he has access to in the lunch room. My directions were pretty bare bones...just heat it up for a few seconds and be careful not to get it too hot. Much to my delight, he listened to me and heated that big bad burrito up in the appliance. Will told me that the burrito was a huge hit and that he would happily eat that daily. He also reported that he thought the rice and beans carried him through cross country practice later that day.

So, if you are stumped on what to feed an athletic teenage boy for lunch,forget the school lunch and those processed saltyLunchables andseriously considerputting beans, rice, a little meat, some cheese, and a king-size tortillain the bag!

--Melissa A. Trainer


Parisian Street Vendor Crepes: King Arthur Flour In Paris, the street vendor crepes are about a foot in diameter, a real meal and a half. You can use any size pan you like, however. Obviously, a smaller pan will ... KING CRIMSON Red music reviews and MP3 - Progressive Rock Music ... Red is a music studio album recording by KING CRIMSON (Eclectic Prog/Progressive Rock) released in 1974 on cd, lp / vinyl and/or cassette. This page includes Red's ... Food Timeline--Mexican and TexMex food history Food Timeline--Mexican and TexMex history notes ... ABOUT TEX MEX CUISINE Food historians tell us TexMex cuisine originated hundreds of years ago when Spanish ... U.S. News National News - Latest Headlines, Videos, Photos - ABC ... ABC News reports on United States politics, crime, education, legal stories, celebrities, weather, the economy and more Celebrity News Celebrity Gossip - Yahoo! omg! Get the latest celebrity news from Yahoo! omg! Find the latest news about the Hollywood celebrities with videos and photos Topic Galleries -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com Topic galleries provide easy access to stories and photos about people, places, organizations, events and subjects of interest to you. They bring together rich ... Burger King - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Burger King, often abbreviated as BK, is a global chain of hamburger fast food restaurants headquartered in unincorporated Miami-Dade County, Florida, United States. Race - Salon.com Articles about race ... Friday, Aug 17, 2012 11:45 AM UTC White and whiter The Romney-Ryan ticket represents the GOP's gamble that its shrinking monochrome base can ... Topic Galleries -- CTnow - CTnow.com - Connecticut News ... Topic galleries provide easy access to stories and photos about people, places, organizations, events and subjects of interest to you. They bring together rich ... Video - Breaking News Videos from CNN.com Video captures man's shooting by policeMan killed by cops, shot multiple times

No comments:

Post a Comment