Friday, September 21, 2012

Have Tomatoes, Will Travel

IMG_2071The peak growing season is winding down and I am determined to eat as many summer tomatoes as possible. While visiting my sis in Southern California, that was easy enough to accomplish. In her backyard garden, there are tomato plants taller than me!

We spent one morning picking and preserving a whole bunch of Romas, making a super simple sauce that we simmered and ladled into freezer bags. It will be the foundation she can later build on, turning it into anything from eggplant parm to a fiery enchilada sauce. The flavor of those sturdy plum tomatoes was absolutely delicious on its own, having an almost meaty quality. Making the sauce involved sauteeing some chopped garlic in olive oil, adding halved tomatoes and covering with a lid until they've broken down a bit. Once the tomatoes turned sort of saucy, I mashed them further with a tater masher. Added a little salt at the end, simmered for 20 minutes and it was bursting with fresh, bright flavor. So good!

When it came time to pack my bags, I tried to figure out to take a little bit of the Sunshine State home. Hmm. How to transport? Scanned the kitchen and spotted an empty egg carton! It worked!

While the container of green mole did NOT make it through TSA screening -- it might not be "liquid" but it's considered a paste, like peanut butter and that is a no-no -- the carton of tomatoes were not a problem.

So, I re-created that sauce last night and served it on top of grilled eggplant, finished in a flurry of shaved Pecorino. It was a big hit at the dinner table, keeping the tomato season sizzling along a little longer.

-- Leslie Kelly


Tomatoes from garden have tough skin? - Yahoo! Answers Best Answer: Tomatoes bred to be "crack resistant" tend to have thicker and tougher skins. Hotter temperatures also make the skins tougher. I've noticed ... Have Spork, Will Travel: Chicken Potato Burritos When I was younger, "What's for dinner?" became synonymous with "What type of burrito are we having tonight?" My mom is master inventor when it comes to ... Have Spork, Will Travel I'm back. Truth be told, I seriously haven't made a new recipe in months. I've been whipping up old standbys so I don't have to exert brain cells. Experts in Incentive Travel The Black Tomato Agency Travel is at the very heart of Black Tomato and, as such, we are experts in creating travel incentives and reward programmes with a difference. Have Food Will Travel I noticed this burger stall named OTAI BURGER at Taman Tun Dr Ismail. Craving for a burger had been in me for ages and without any decision, I ordered my burger . . . . . Resipi : Nasi Tomato Best recipes, foods and travel Normally if I have the urge to cook something, I will do a quick check on the internet for the recipe. I have lots of recipe books which I never bother to refer. When will my tomatoes turn red? - Yahoo! Answers Best Answer: I planted my tomatoes last week of May and I've just picked my first two on Wed.from my "bonnie best" plants.My beef steak plants are not ... Paraiso Travel - Rotten Tomatoes - Movies Movie Trailers ... Review: A girl who will risk it all to get into the United States and the boy who will follow her through hell to get into her pants embark on the biggest... The Hills Have Eyes - Rotten Tomatoes - Movies Movie Trailers ... Review: Horror auteur Wes Craven followed his threadbare but horrifically compelling cult classic Last House on the Left with this wonderfully demented... A CUP OF JO: The Best Tomato Soup You'll Ever Have New York is having a surprisingly chilly week, so we've been craving comfort foods, like tomato soup with a gooey grilled cheese sandwich. There's nothing ...

No comments:

Post a Comment