Sunday, September 30, 2012

Crafting Fig and Apple Jam at Home

Fig apple jam
I've been on a fig and apple kick this week. Last weekend I wrote about my little productive fig tree and yesterday I rambled on about my apple harvest. Last night, I decided to craft a fig and apple jam from scratch.

I love fig jam and cheese, but I don't always like the price of those little jars of fig preserves. When I was poking around the California Fig Advisory Board's website last week, I noticed that there were lots of recipes for dried figs. I had never used dried figs but I suspected that their recipe for Fig-Apple Jam would result in a delicious jam similar to the one I have been buying. Alas, my instincts were correct because I made that recipe last night and the results are excellent!

The recipe is pretty simple and features dried figs, apples, the zest and juice from an orange and lemon and lots of sugar. The procedure requires snipping the stems off the dried figs, pulsing the figs and apples in the food processor, and then basically simmering the sweetmixture for about 40 minutes.

I was quite impressed with the end result and when I dolloped some of the warm jam on a cracker with a little blue cheese I knew I had a slam dunk keeper of a recipe. I think it would make a great addition to a holiday cheese basket. And, one of the big bonuses to the recipe is that dried figs are available yearround, so you can crank out this recipe on the colder darker drearier days of winter!

So, if you like fig, cheese, apples, jam, give this one a shot!

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


Making jam with or without pectin? - Home Cooking - Chowhound quick question to the jam makers out there. Made strawberry jam with pectin (a brand other than Certo), however, my mother who is a jam junkie, told Jam Making Passion Fruit Jam Recipe Pickles, Jam and Preserves A recipes for passion fruit jam making it with the shells of the fruit. Making and Canning Fig Jam without Pectin Home Canning Jams and ... Download high quality versions of our free videos; Video 1, Making Jam & Infusing Fruit; Video 2, Home Canning Fruit and Pie Filling; Video 3, Home Canning Tomatoes Fig Jam and Goat Cheese Crostini Recipe - CHOW Flavors of fallsage and figspair up with tangy goat cheese for an elegant appetizer thats a perfect match for a glass of bubbly. What to buy: Fig jam can be ... Fig Jam Texas Jelly Making Even though we are in the middle of a drought, this is a busy time for jam and jelly making. The figs are starting to ripen. It should not be hard to find ... Homemade Pectin Fig Jam and Lime Cordial Tess, thank you! A friend told me that the term for all the bits leftover from the apple (peel, core, stem etc) is apple leavings. I thought that was such a ... How to Make Fig-Strawberry Jam - Easily! With Step-by-step Photos ... How to Make Fig-Strawberry Jam in 10 easy steps - fully illustrated, with complete, simple recipe and directions. These are the easiest directions on the web! How to Make Fig Preserves (Fig Jam) - Easily! With Step-by-step ... How to Make Fig Preserves (Fig Jam) in 10 easy steps - fully illustrated, with complete, simple recipe and directions. These are the easiest directions on the web! About Fig Jam and Lime Cordial Thanks for dropping by! My husband Pete and I live a blissful existence with our two sons in the Great Southern Land. For the past couple of years, weve been on a ... Fig jam in Condiments, Seasoning & Sauces - Compare Prices, Read ... 1632 items. Find huge savings on Fig jam. Compare Prices & Read Reviews on Condiments, Seasoning & Sauces, including top brands such as Stonewall Kitchen at Bizrate.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment