Sunday, October 21, 2012

A Mega Dose of Veggies from Crunchy Cabbage Soup!

Cabbage glut 2012
I definitely have a cabbage glut right now. Back in late July or early August, I planted about ten Savoy cabbage plants.They were itty bitty plants back then. Now,thanks to Seattle's fabulous Indian summer, I have some massive cabbages in my kitchen. To tackle the glut right away, Iopted to crank out a quick cabbage soup today.

Inspired by the Cabbage Soup Diet, I decided to keep the recipe fat free and simple. No butter. No cream. Just lots of vegetables. To make the soup, I simply chopped one half of a head of cabbage very coarsely. I included some of the dark outer leaves. All of the cabbage went into a soup pot, and I thenadded water to cover. I added one small can of diced organictomatoes, chopped carrots, a small bit of sliced onion, and a blob of Better than Bouillon chicken broth base. I simmered the mixture for maybe five minutes and then decided to serve the soup while the veggies were still looking ALIVE!

Cabbage soup
On a side note, I hate cabbage soup that cooks the cabbage to the point well beyond death. I've had a few of those in my life. They are horrible! (Truly, if you want to turn kids off to cabbage for life, just serve an overcooked cabbage concoction once or twice and yourjob will bedone for decades!)

I don't know how many servings of veggies I actually consumed when I ate my warm and comforting cabbage soup this afternoon,but I am confident that I more than fulfilled my Five A Day requirement. Even though the soup was ridiculously quick and simple to make, it was remarkably good.

What would you do with a cabbage glut? Cabbage rolls? Cabbage soup? Slaw? Sauerkraut? Stir fry? Root cellar storage? I still have about eight heads in the garden...

Photo by Melissa A. Trainer

--Melissa A. Trainer


Cooking Mela - Pakistani Urdu Recipes Indian Recipes Chicken ... Pakistani and Indian Cooking Recipes, Pakistani Recipes, Indian Recipes, Chines Recipe, Thai Recipes, Soup Recipes, Beryani Recipe, BBQ Recipe, Cooking Videos Cabbage - HealthAliciousNess . com Cabbage (Brassica oleracea) is a round vegetable with layers of leaves composing its structure. Depending on variety the outer leaves of the cabbage can be dark green ... Welcome to VegWeb.com The World's Largest Collection of ... VegWeb is the world's largest vegetarian recipe community. Get ready for an incredible food experience! Ruchi Ruchi Aduge: Masala Puri Ingredients for Gravy: 2 cups of soaked Green Peas / frozen Green Peas / Batani 1/4 cup soaked Green Grams / Hesaru Kaalu 2 Green Chillies 4-5 strands of Coriander leaves Vegetarian Recipes - 101 Cookbooks New Year Noodle Soup - January 1, 2011. An amazing New Year Noodle Soup from Greg & Lucy Malouf's beautiful book, Saraban. It's a bean and noodle soup at its core ... Ruchi Ruchi Aduge Recipes of vegetarian delicacies!! ... Ingredients: 1.5 KG Tender Tamarind / Ele Hunasekayi 3/4 KG Green Chillies Rodale Store - ABS DIET Get full access to all of the lifestyle-changing information from the best-selling books, plus online only content, decision tools, shopping lists, and more, including: Best Leafy Green Vegetables The Science Of Eating Find out what the most nutritious Leafy Greens to eat are, and how they help you with your quest for health & weight loss. Getting more of these vegetable powerhouses ... Carrots - HealthAliciousNess . com Carrots (Daucus carota ) are long root vegetables that appear in purple, white, yellow, and most commonly, orange. Carrots have a set of greens on their tops, but are ... Chow mein - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Chow mein is a Chinese term for a dish of stir-fried noodles, of which there are many varieties. The pronunciation chow mein comes from the Taishan dialect of Chinese ...

No comments:

Post a Comment