Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Getting Fresh, With Herbs That Is. This Week: The Finale

Seven-herbs
Today is the last of our Tuesday herb conversations, a summer series that has spurred me on not just to grow herbs in my garden, but to use them in my kitchen as well. What herbs have you been growing and cooking this summer?

This week I came across a packet of herbs at the local market that had been grouped together to make Frankfurt's famed Green Sauce. Included were borage, parsley, sorrel, salad burnet, dill, chervil and chives, and on the paper wrapper was a simple recipe, calling just for cream, yogurt, salt and lemon juice. So I used my handy mezzaluna to mince the herbs, mixed in the other ingredients and then ate it with hard boiled eggs and boiled potatoes. It tasted even better thanthe meal that I ate in Oberrad, the home of Green Sauce.

As I have learned, even though Green Sauce is made with seven different green herbs, there's a lot of latitude as to which herbs to include. So at the end of the summer, when you've got lots of extra greens around, this is the perfect way to make use of them. And even though this dish is typically a spring meal, I think that it makes a great summer finale.

Here's a last look at the herbs we've grown and eater together:

Tarragon
Basil
Cilantro
Thyme
Sage
Rosemary
Dill
Parsley
Salad Burnet
Mint
Chives
Oregano

--Tracy Schneider

Two-handled-mezzaluna
Two-Handled
Mezzaluna


Discovery Channel Canada Facebook Its the Mother of all Sins tonight on DEADLY SINS, 10ET Investigation Discovery. Plus new CAR FELLAS at 9ET on Discovery NBC - The Biggest Loser Watch episodes, meet the contestants, and see clips. The ING New York City Marathon ,ING New York City Marathon homepage ... 12-Week Marathon Training Plan Starts This Week. Sign up for the Official NYRR ING New York City Marathon Training Program ... Mandy's Mind Three episodes left... Some subplots wrapped up, some development and connections with other plots... I wish True Blood was year round.... More... Horizon Herbs-Organic growers of medicinal herb seeds, medicinal ... Horizon Herbs Home. certified organic medicinal herb seeds, organic vegetable seeds, organic potted plants, organic roots Gardening Question of the Week: Do Deer Eat Most Culinary Herbs? Jjlifland asked the About Gardening Forum about deer and herbs: Celebrity News Celebrity Gossip - Yahoo! omg! Get the latest celebrity news from Yahoo! omg! Find the latest news about the Hollywood celebrities with videos and photos The World's Healthiest Foods This week join us in celebrating the crunchy texture and sweet flavor of grapes while they are in the peak of their season. Red, purple, and black grapes are also ... THE PETREDISH PODCAST...WE JUST DON'T GIVE A FUCK... - Home HEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOOO everybody...I'm back for a brief 18 minutes...I recorded this solo episode about a month ago when Buddy the Dog was new to my life...a lot has ... Mike Agar It took all day, but I rolled my own infinite scroll mechanism. I thought about using a jQuery plugin for the task, but then I'd have learned nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment